fbpx
preloder

Introduction

Ultraviolet light UV-C not only kills bacteria and virus on surfaces but also those in the air. It acts as an air and surface purifier. For example, ultraviolet light is used to kill viruses, bacteria, and superbugs like the Chinese Corona Virus on surfaces and in the surrounding air on aeroplanes. UVC disinfection robots are also typically seen in healthcare facilities and hospitals, being used to disinfect air, water, and surfaces in rooms and operating rooms.

Ultraviolet Light also kills mold spores. Did you know that mold has toxins that cause respiratory infection and even cause cancer? Did you know that mold is a millimeter thick on the surface, but the roots grow an inch deep? Did you know that mold propagates by releasing spores that float through the air and enter your HVAC system causing issues with health? Here is an article that shows the dangers of living in a moldy house. It may be an extreme case, but mold especially black mold is dangerous…

What is Mold?

What is Mold – it is not a plant or an animal but is classified as a fungus that can provide both benefits and downfalls to human health upon exposure. Some forms of mold are utilized in medicines like penicillium, which is a life-saving antibiotic, while other molds like Stachybotryschartarum (black mold) will have potentially harmful effects to human health.

There are various kinds of mold like Cladosporium and Aspergillus, but the most dangerous is Stachybotryschartarum or black mold. Black mold comes in many colors:green, yellow, brown, and, yes black. Aspergillus niger and Aspergillus fumigatus, both black mold species, are green. Stachybotrys is classified as a dangerous mold because of its production of mycotoxins in the air that can cause significant health problems including difficulty breathing, fatigue, sinusitis, and even depression. After prolonged exposure to this mold even worse symptoms can develop in the body including tightening of the chest, persistent cough, nose bleeds, fever, and neurological problems.

The problem is that mold spores propagate by aerial transmission and settle on fruit and produce everywhere.Specifically, we’re talking about molds whose spores are released due to an environmental disturbance. Some of these being Aspergillus species. The environmental disturbance could be a strong wind, as is the case with Aspergillus fumigatus.

Or it could be your vacuum sucking up the dust and debris from the carpet. (Of course, Aspergillus aren’t the only spores that are released; you may have different types.)

Health Effects of Mold

In 2004 the Institute of Medicine (IOM) found there was sufficient evidence to link indoor exposure to mold with upper respiratory tract symptoms, cough, and wheeze in otherwise healthy people; with asthma symptoms in people with asthma; and with hypersensitivity pneumonitis in individuals susceptible to that immune-mediated condition. The IOM also found limited or suggestive evidence linking indoor mold exposure and respiratory illness in otherwise healthy children. Some typical mold related sicknesses are:

  • hypersensitivity pneumonitis
  • bronchitis
  • allergic alveolitis
  • chronic rhinosinusitis
  • allergic fungal sinusitis
  • lower respiratory tract problems in previously healthy children

Mold and Your Home

Mold is found both indoors and outdoors. Mold can enter your home through your open doorways, windows, vents, and heating and air conditioning systems. Mold in the air outside can also attach itself to clothing, shoes, bags, and pets and can be carried indoors.

Mold will grow in places in moist ill-ventilated places, such as around leaks in roofs, windows, or pipes with hairline cracks, or where there has been flooding. Mold will also feed on wooden beams in the attic and destroy the house structure. Mold grows well on paper products, cardboard, ceiling tiles, and wood products. Mold can also grow in dust, paints, wallpaper, insulation, drywall, carpet, fabric, and upholstery. Does the cabinet under your sink or shoe rack smell bad? It could be mold. Mold is typically recognized as round furry patches and appears in various colors, typically black, grey, yellow or green.

Mold Prevention Tips

  • Keep humidity levels as low as you can—no higher than 50%–all day long. An air conditioner or dehumidifier will help you keep the level low. Bear in mind that humidity levels change over the course of a day with changes in the moisture in the air and the air temperature, so you will need to check the humidity levels more than once a day.
  • Be sure your home has enough ventilation. Use exhaust fans which vent outside your home in the kitchen and bathroom. Make sure your clothes dryer vents outside your home.
  • Fix any leaks in your home’s roof, walls, or plumbing so mold does not have moisture to grow.
  • Clean up and dry out your home thoroughly and quickly (within 24–48 hours) after flooding.
  • Add mold inhibitors to paints before painting.
  • Use uvFreshr Mold to fightmold

UV LIGHT

UV light was discovered in the late 1800s that UVC light can actually be used as a UV light sanitizer with the ability to kill up to 99.9% of germs. The technology was used in the early 1900s in Europe for water purification and is still used today. Today, UVC light is used in hospitals to sterilize operation theatres, as no hospital super bug can survive UVC light treatment. Without getting too technical, a UVC light sanitizer acts by penetrating the thin wall of a small microscopic organism and destroying its nucleic acids or its DNA. US FDA has approved the use of Germicidal UV light for processing and treatment of food.

uvFreshr Germ N Mold

uvFreshr produces UV light at 253.7 nanometers and is powerful enough to kill germs, fight mold and deodorize from upto 5 feet away. uvFreshr is used for disinfection and deodorization of closed unoccupied places like a car, the cabinet under the kitchen sink, the bathroom, the attic, the cellar, and any place that is damp, ill ventilated and prone to mold.

Dosage

Please refer to the product manual for various durations of UV light exposure required for different situations to ensure that a lethaluvc dose is delivered. While bacteria and viruses are killed in seconds mold requires much longer exposure. The product allows for a maximum exposure time of 30 minutes. For heavy mold situations multiple exposures per day might be required initially so that every nook and cranny of a cabinet or enclosure is exposed to UV light.

UV light will not clean up black mold stains. These have to be cleaned manually and all sources of dampness like hair line cracks in pipes should be sealed or shut off. Run uvFreshr every day for some time to ensure no live spores linger in the space.

Safety

uvFreshr has a motion sensor which will delay start up or temporarily shut off if humans are present close by. Charge it once a week if you use it once daily, as battery life allows you to use it for weeks on a single charge. To charge the device, plug it with the charging cable provided, connecting it to any 110-V wall socket. The charging time for the device is approximately 2 hours. UV light is harmful to human eyes and skin and exposure to humans and pets should be avoided. Please ensure that children and pets are kept away from uvFreshr or program uvFreshr to shine at night when everyone is asleep.

uvFreshr Germ N Mold is Programmable

uvFreshr can be programmed to shine only at night when people are asleep, so that the closed space need not be opened for 2 hours after its operation as a safety measure. uvFreshr can be set to shine for various DURATION settings from 5 to 30 minutes depending on the space to be disinfected. There is also a delay function which allows the START TIME to occur anywhere between 0 and 23 hours after it is programmed. While once daily dosing is enough, uvFreshr can be set to shine multiple times a day and at the same times everyday. It has a large 10,000 mAh battery which will last for about a month depending on the time and frequency settings chosen. Light it and leave it! Set it to shine at night, and it will shine at the same time, every night, for weeks!Place the product close to fruits and vegetables prone to mold and set exposure timings for delicate fruits and berries in the fridge as per the chart provided in the manual.

Use uvFreshr Germ N Mold anywhere

The productdoes not produce ozone and can be used in open air to disinfect anything and is  powerful as super bugs in hospitals do not yield to harsh chemical agents but succumb to UVC light.